Thursday, November 5, 2009

NaNo Observations...


Got home after 8 and my brain is mush after a stressful day and I have less than no motivation to work on my NaNo novel. Instead I thought I would write a few observations and note that until yesterday I was ahead of schedule and promise in front of all the Blogisphere that I will catch up over the weekend!

I must admit I am finding it difficult to change my writing style from contemplative and re-read and edit as I go along (= too slow to finish in a month) to the stream of consiousness, write without reading and editing style. I keep thinking that what I am writing will be crap, lack cohesiveness and will be rambling and boring...

However, in order to finish 50,000 words in 30 days you pretty much have to leave behind your inner editor and just forge ahead and brain dump. I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised at the end of the month that I have been able to capture some splendid ideas, even if I have to re-write the entire sucker from scratch...


So I was a bit down on the whole thing until I got today's "pep talk" email. The organizers of the NaNoWriMo thing have it all figured out. The way to keep us motivated is to send encouraging notes to all us NaNo participants. It is day 5 and already I have received 2 of these emails. The latest email is from the author Jasper Fforde. In essence, he affirms that the result will not be good, it will probably be a stinker - but as a consequence of doing this I will learn a lot and be a much better writer at the end of it - and it will be a remembered as a great month of fun.

So far, it has been a bit short on fun, but I should probably partake in a few of the silly NaNo events, such as Sunday's "Subway write". So the deal is that all the Toronto NaNoWriMos will gather at the Finch Subway station at 1 pm and all board the same car at 1:15 and we all work on our novels as the train takes us on its circuit. Hmmm, a bit silly, but what the hey...

Incidentally, I am updating the little NaNoWriMo widget at the right each day when I finish my day's writing. Your encouragement through comments cheering me on are very welcomed.

Hmmm, where was I?   It was a stormy night when blah blah blah blah... (is it fair to up the word count by a few blah's?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails