Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Reflections As The Year Draws to a Close

I have always spent the last few days of every year in a reflective mood and always start the first few days of the year asking myself what do I need or want to accomplish in this  coming year.  This year I have been very pleased on the whole and  find myself with a great deal of feelings of grattitude and accomplishment.   Life is good.

Obviously, it could always be better - for instance, my ad in Craig's list for a "significant other"  has remained unanswered this entire year!   But in other ways the year has been spectacular!  This year has been the year I vaulted myself forward in a major way with my writing objectives and got my first draft done for my novel - thanks to NaNoWriMo. I have had a great deal of success in areas of my career (finally got around to the "badge of honour" - my PMP certification) and have racked up an award winning year as far as nights out listening to live music and just having fun.  One could not ask for (much) more.  Well... as I said earlier ...

So it is clear that one objective for next year is to progress this messy collection of 53,000 odd words into something I might allow someone else on the planet to read and critique.  I have so much excitement for the concepts and ideas that I have played with in the novel that I will probably be able to ride on that excitement as an incentive to get past the next nasty bit - the realization that there is a heck of a lot of work required to get the darned thing presentable.  I hope I can manage it given that I will not be quitting my day job.

Next year I must also  prepare for some major traveling in 2011.   I have only 1 more year to get ready for my Camino pilgrimage through Spain.  That means hiking the Bruce trail to get my hiking legs in shape and to get used to the weight of a heavy pack.  I will also need to start planning finances and equipment.   I may also even try and sneak in an extended Cuban trip next fall to breathe in the culture and take those Spanish lessons.  My trip this month just whet my appetite in that regard!

Another objective for next year is to figure out what to do with my new condo which apparently will be ready for me sometime next winter.  More on that in an up coming blog!

This is also the year I (for the first time) announced myself in a group setting as officially working on writing a novel.  Interesting to think that there are so many more writers now, as it is so easy to "self publish" - via the internet, if a novel is too ambious a project for you a blog is easily done.   You are then entitled to call yourself a writer.  Nevermind that you don't get paid - that is why other folks who do get to insert the adjective "Professional" in front of a noun describing an activity one might do as a hobby or as a vocation.   This year, I officially became a writer (unpaid, of course LOL)  as I have a draft of a novel ongoing and also have been publishing a blog for a full year now.  Can you see me smiling?

To throw some cold water on the idea of being a writer go here.  I like the first sentence in the last paragraph "Any real writer will tell you, you don't quit your day job to pursue writing. "  I guess I am on the right track.   

Thinking about writing got this tune rolling around in my brain.  





 From Wiki:
"Paperback Writer" is a 1966 rock song recorded and released by The Beatles. Credited to Lennon/McCartney, the song was released as the A-side of their eleventh single. The single went to the number one spot in the United States, United Kingdom, West Germany, Australia, New Zealand and Norway. Written in the form of a letter from an aspiring author to a publisher, "Paperback Writer" was the first UK Beatles single that was not a love song (though "Nowhere Man", which was a single in the U.S., was their first album song released with that distinction).

Paperback Writer
(John Lennon, Paul McCartney)

Paperback writer (writer, writer)

Sir or Madam, would you read my book?
It took me years to write, will you take a look?
It's based on a novel by a man named Lear.
And I need a job, so I want to be a paperback writer,
Paperback writer.

It's a dirty story of a dirty man,
And his clinging wife doesn't understand.
His son's out working for the Daily Mail,
It's a steady job, but he wants to be a paperback writer,
Paperback writer.

Paperback writer (writer, writer)


It's a thousand pages, give or take a few.
I'll be writing more in a week or two.
I can make it longer if you like the style.
I can change it 'round and I wanna be a paperback writer,
Paperback writer.

If you really like it, you can have the rights,
It could make a million for you overnight.
If you must return it, you can send it here.
But I need a break, and I wanna be a paperback writer,
Paperback writer.

Paperback writer (writer,writer)

Paperback writer (Paperback writer)
Paperback writer (Paperback writer)
Paperback writer (Paperback writer)
Paperback writer (Paperback writer)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails