Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Psychedelic Rock- for us Hippie Zoomers

My adult children occasionally remind me that "I used to be a Hippie"...  Actually, I was not a true hippie - I most definitely hit the late end of the 60's and early 70's in my teen/young adult years.  I was old enough though during my teen years to catch the end of the hippie movement but young enough to have been still at home and in high school as during this time.  I can still remember talking about what happened at Kent State in May of 1970 in a Grade 11 classroom.  That was the sunset on the Hippie years.  By the time I was out of the house and "clubbing" it was disco fever and that is where I landed through a great deal of the 70's.  Though I was not really fully in the sex and drugs counter culture of 60s, I did participate in the tail end of the "Love and Peace" years.

I grew up spending a lot of time listening to the music of the 60s and psychedelic rock during high school.  To this day when I hear "A Whiter Shade of Pale" or "White Rabbit" or "Someone to Love", I smile recollecting those easy going days where our biggest problem was what to do on a Saturday night.

The weather was so great this weekend and I was able to be up at my Collingwood Shangri-La for this wonderful Victoria Day holiday.  I did spend a lot of time lazing in the sun and taking it easy, recalling how simple life was in those days. I didn't get any blogging done (I normally write the following week's blogs on the weekend) as I was in that same easy going head space. 


I leave you with a few favourites of mine from that era. Those of you who are of the same vintage as I am, close your eyes and remember times which were so different than they are today. Added to the treat is Canada's own Smother's Brothers. I can remember watching their boundary pushing comedy show every week. They were Canada's rebellious answer to the States' Ed Sullivan Show.



According to Wiki:
Jefferson Airplane's song "Somebody to Love" Rolling Stone magazine ranked Jefferson Airplane's version #274 on their list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.
 and Wiki says of  White Rabbit:
 The song was ranked #478 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, #27 on Rate Your Music's Top Singles of All Time and appears on The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's 500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll.




A Whiter Shade of Pale was and is still often played.  As I recall, it was my first slow dance song.  Can't remember the guy now, but I do remember that it was pretty special.  The song has a special place in my heart. 

From Wiki:
...United Kingdom performing rights group Phonographic Performance Limited in 2004 recognized it as the most-played record by British broadcasting of the past 70 years.[3] Also in 2004, Rolling Stone placed "A Whiter Shade of Pale" #57 on its list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails