Sunday, June 20, 2010

To All Those Fathers Out There - Happy Fathers Day

I have to thank my good friend Kathleen for reminding me about this wonderful song - a perfect song to celebrate Father's Day.  The song is a conversation between Father and Son.   The Father wanting the son to stay near home and settle down, and the Son who is about to embark on the journey of life and travel away. 

The song Father and Son, was released in 1970 in the album Tea for the Tillerman, his 4th album.  According to Wiki:
In 2001, this album was certified by the RIAA as a Multi-Platinum record, having sold 3 million copies in the United States at that time. It is ranked at #206 in Rolling Stone Magazine's 2003 list of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time".

Yusuf Islam is noted for his philanthropy and has received a number of philanthropic and humanitarian awards in this last decade.


The Song Father and Son - The 1970 original.


Father
It's not time to make a change,
Just relax, take it easy.
You're still young, that's your fault,
There's so much you have to know.
Find a girl, settle down,
If you want you can marry.
Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy.

I was once like you are now, and I know that it's not easy,
To be calm when you've found something going on.
But take your time, think a lot,
Why, think of everything you've got.
For you will still be here tomorrow, but your dreams may not.

Son
How can I try to explain, when I do he turns away again.
It's always been the same, same old story.
From the moment I could talk I was ordered to listen.
Now there's a way and I know that I have to go away.
I know I have to go.

Father
It's not time to make a change,
Just sit down, take it slowly.
You're still young, that's your fault,
There's so much you have to go through.
Find a girl, settle down,
if you want you can marry.
Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy.
(Son-- Away Away Away, I know I have to
Make this decision alone - no)
Son
All the times that I cried, keeping all the things I knew inside,
It's hard, but it's harder to ignore it.
If they were right, I'd agree, but it's them They know not me.
Now there's a way and I know that I have to go away.
I know I have to go.
(Father-- Stay Stay Stay, Why must you go and
make this decision alone?)

I was so pleasantly surprised to hear the more recent BBC concert video version, recorded in 2007 to be as rich and emotionally charged as the original recorded in .
The song Father and Son - An older Yusuf Islam performing on a BBC broadcast concert.

Cat Stevens or more correctly, Yusuf Islam,  your voice is as mellow and as calming now as I remember it to be when  I listened to your album Tea for the Tillerman, in my bedroom as a teenager.

1 comment:

  1. As soon as I started to play the original song, Bob said "Cat Stevens". I think he knew the singer in a couple chords :-) He used to have that album, as well "Teaser and the Fire Cat". I like the original and the 2007 versions. I agree his voice sounds just as good as it did in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails