Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Rainy Sunday Morning in Shangri-La

I had a fun evening last night at an "End of Summer" Corn Roast and BBQ.  It was at the home of Alex Hunter, the business partner of my good friend Barb McCowan from Gofer Broke Farm.  Barb and Alex are Broker-Owners of  On The Harbour Realty in Collingwood.  While the weather was a bit rainy, it was warm enough and the setting was just wonderful.   Excellent food - you just can't beat fresh Ontario corn in late August!

An old barn behind Alex's turn of the century brick farmhouse  had been dismantled several years ago leaving the barn foundations and this had been turned into a particularly pretty outdoor garden room.  Gorgeous flowers and "farm stuff" decorated the cement foundations forming the 3 sides of what was once the lower section of a pig barn.   Add a Tiki bar in the middle of the "room" and a deck with a band set up on the far end and you have a wonderful outdoor party setting. (Sorry, no pics :(  )   Well, except for the rain.  Barb, John and I retreated to my place to watch a rented movie and continued the great evening watching "The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus".  It was a very enjoyable movie.  Aside from being Heath Ledger's last movie, it also featured Christopher Plummer, Johnny Depp, Jude Law and Colin Farrell.  An interesting movie which deserves watching a 2nd time later this week.

And so ended another Saturday. Sadly, grey skies continue today, however it is warm and my mood is very good.  I had an acceptable first week on my new job but I am going to have to work pretty hard in the next while to get on top of it.  Most importantly,  I feel confident that things will sort themselves out on that front to provide a very satisfying work experience soon enough.  It has been a while since I have worked a job which required a bunch of new skills - but learning is never a bad thing.  So, in all life is good.  Well, in all but one area and things even seem to be looking up in that area as well.


A Great Sunday Morning Song 
Maroon 5 - Sunday Morning

One of the things that distinguish good songs, in my mind, from the great, is the attention to both lyric and melody in order to produce a mood and a message. IMO lyrics need to be poetic in great songs (I do love my poetry) and the rhythm and melody need to complement the lyric.  When the lyric, melody, rhythm and the band's sound  produce the same vibe - that is talent in songwriting and performance.  Sunday Morning by Maroon 5 fit this bill fully. 

The rhythm and melody in Sunday Morning is so appropriate to this morning, with the day being warm but grey and with a damp "almost rain" falling.  I also like the sentiments expressed in the lyric.  Read by themselves without the music they stand on their own as a nicely romantic poem.  My favourite part:-
Fingers trace your every outline
Paint a picture with my hands
Back and forth we sway like branches in a storm
Change the weather still together when it ends




Maroon 5 is an American rock band from Los Angeles, California. The 4 original members have performed together since high school. They formed Maroon 5 from their original band, Kara's Flowers, in 2001.
According to Wiki, 
"Sunday Morning" is the fourth single from Maroon 5's debut album, Songs About Jane. Released in 2004, the single peaked at #14 in the USA becoming Maroon 5's fourth Top 20 single; it also peaked at #27 in the UK and #7 in Latin America becoming Maroon 5's third consecutive Top 10 single.
This song has been featured in a number of movie soundtracks.  You might recall the song from Love actually, Something's Gotta Give or Cheaper by the Dozen 2.

The Video was filmed at the Abbey Road studios in London, England and features a Karaoke segment at the beginning.



Sunday morning rain is falling
Steal some covers share some skin
Clouds are shrouding us in moments unforgettable
You twist to fit the mold that I am in
But things just get so crazy living life gets hard to do
And I would gladly hit the road get up and go if I knew
That someday it would lead me back to you
That someday it would lead me back to you

That may be all I need
In darkness she is all I see
Come and rest your bones with me
Driving slow on Sunday morning
And I never want to leave

Fingers trace your every outline
Paint a picture with my hands
Back and forth we sway like branches in a storm
Change the weather still together when it ends

That may be all I need
In darkness she is all I see
Come and rest your bones with me
Driving slow on Sunday morning
And I never want to leave

But things just get so crazy living life gets hard to do
Sunday morning rain is falling and I'm calling out to you
Singing someday it'll bring me back to you
Find a way to bring myself back home to you

And you may not know
That may be all I need
In darkness she is all I see
Come and rest your bones with me
Driving slow on Sunday morning

3 comments:

  1. The end of summer. I am not sure if I should be happy or sad, but it sounds like you know how to say goodbye to it in a proper manner, Peggy.

    So much of my time is spent listening to music from the 70s-80s-90s, or to classical, that I seldom encounter more recent bands except on the sea of blogs. Today, I enjoyed your music. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where has the summer gone? Wasn't it just May a short while ago? Wasn't I in Hawaii just last week? I think I am in a time warp because I spent so many weeks blogging about our May vacation in Hawaii. I started seeing messages on Facebook from high school and college students. School starts very soon. College students packing, heading off to college. It's hard to believe it is almost September already.

    Something has stuck with me when I read this post. You wrote "life is good. Well, in all but one area and things even seem to be looking up in that area as well." Can a man be somewhere in these words?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe end of summer - maybe not (I hope) quite yet. Still a full month until the first day of fall!

    In any event, you are right, the beginning of the winding down period. (Actually the subject of a blog I have in the works.) And always a good reason for a party!

    Glad you enjoyed the music Fram - I must admit, I like getting my fix of 70s-80s-90s music from your bog! Glad I could showcase a find not on your playlist.

    Linda, you made a very intuitive observation about my remarks...but "looking up" is just that and I dare not say more lest I jinx it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails