Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Who would have thought - Ukulele! and Diet Coke and Mentos

I recently bought a Ukulele and am ever so slowly finding my way around strumming and playing just a few chords. I might even get to a song pretty soon!

When I saw this Idea City 2010 Video I was absolutely wowed by what this guy can do with the Ukulele. I talked about Idea City in this blog from May.

His name is Jake Shimabukuro and from his introduction on the Video:
Though some still have trouble pronouncing his last name and the instrument he plays, Jake Shimabukuro (she-ma-BOO-koo-row) is recognized as one of the world's most exciting and innovative ukulele (oo-koo-LAY-lay) players and composers. From a modest beginning performing at a local Honolulu café, Jake has gone on to play renowned and popular venues and festivals across the world.



While I am taking a shortcut to putting out a blog this week, I might as well offer another Video which seemed pretty incredible - but for a different reason. Have a watch as a modern miracle of science creates a spectacular spout from two simple and available commercial ingredients - Diet Coke and Mentos Mints. My son Jeff assures me that this is real.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed both videos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ukuleles are fun. I had one as a kid, but never actually mastered it. I probably still do have it in a sense. My mother never throws anything away, and it still could be somewhere in her basement.

    In regard to the Diet Coke, what is that old line about some people having too much time on their hands?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails