Saturday, March 26, 2011

Juno Cup Hockey and There Ain't No Cure for Love

I had a great time watching the Juno Rockers play the NFL Alumni last night. The seats were general admission (no reserved seats) and we got a great spot with a fabulous view of the net.

There were two 25 minute periods separated by a skills competition which was fun to watch.

I don't know who had more fun -  NFL Alumni, including Paul Coffey, Gary Roberts, Mike Pelyk and Mark Napier and others playing hockey with Rock Stars or the rock stars playing hockey with the hockey pros.  Jim Cuddy, from Blue Rodeo, captained the team of pretty excellent hockey amateurs.  Included were  Sarah Harmer and Kathleen Edwards who both are  surprizingly good players.   


There was lots of action and a high scoring game in which saw we the NFL players take the cup (surprise, surprise LOL).

During the skills competition there was a singing segment included where each captain had to sing a tune and the crowd voted by cheering loudest for the winner.    Of course, Jim Cuddy won!  And we got to hear a neat a cappella version of "Try" his signature song. Mark Napier, the Alumni captain had to bring his whole team up to sing with him and also needed the help of 2 of the Rockers - Sarah and Kathleen, but they didn't best the Cuddy falsetto voice.

I took a few pictures which I have shared here, but if you are interested to learn more about the Juno cup I found a great You Tube with interviews of Rock Stars and NHL greats alike which was recorded during their training camp held in February and talks about the Musicounts charity which was the beneficiary of funds raised.




LOS ANGELES, CA - JANUARY 30: Poet/recording a...Image by Getty Images via @daylifeI am busy working today so no time to write a long blog but I would like to share with you my favourite musician/bard.   Leonard Cohen is both a great Canadian poet and Internationally renowned musician.  Given the emphasis on Canadian Music this week in Toronto with it being Juno week and with  Poetry month beginning in less than a week, I thought I could sneak him into this blog. 




There Ain't No Cure For Love
by Leonard Cohen

I loved you for a long, long time
I know this love is real
It don't matter how it all went wrong
That don't change the way I feel
And I can't believe that time's
Gonna heal this wound I'm speaking of
There ain't no cure,
There ain't no cure,
There ain't no cure for love.

I'm aching for you baby
I can't pretend I'm not
I need to see you naked
In your body and your thought
I've got you like a habit
And I'll never get enough
There ain't no cure,
There ain't no cure,
There ain't no cure for love

There ain't no cure for love
There ain't no cure for love
All the rocket ships are climbing through the sky
The holy books are open wide
The doctors working day and night
But they'll never ever find that cure for love
There ain't no drink no drug
(Ah tell them, angels)
There's nothing pure enough to be a cure for love

I see you in the subway and I see you on the bus
I see you lying down with me, I see you waking up
I see your hand, I see your hair
Your bracelets and your brush
And I call to you, I call to you
But I don't call soft enough
There ain't no cure,
There ain't no cure,
There ain't no cure for love

I walked into this empty church I had no place else to go
When the sweetest voice I ever heard, whispered to my soul
I don't need to be forgiven for loving you so much
It's written in the scriptures
It's written there in blood
I even heard the angels declare it from above
There ain't no cure,
There ain't no cure,
There ain't no cure for love

There ain't no cure for love
There ain't no cure for love
All the rocket ships are climbing through the sky
The holy books are open wide
The doctors working day and night
But they'll never ever find that cure,
That cure for love

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails