Saturday, March 12, 2011

Liberty Village Construction Progress Report

Looking south from my balcony - OK so zoom makes the water look closer! :)
I was hit with one heck of nasty bug this week and as I recovered enough sufficiently this morning to go for a walk, I decided to do a photo blog of my changing neighbourhood/construction site. My bones are so achy from lying in bed motionless that the bit of exercise did them good no doubt and my dog Bella was equally thankful for the walk.

So today I post just some pictures with promise of a more meaty blog once my brain is back in form.


From  my balcony:
The King West Plaza rises in front of my eyes.  Building #1 of 3, to my immediate west, has risen above grade level at the rear. Interesting to watch the construction details. 

This area - looking down to the south and west between my building and the new one under construction - is proposed for a bike trail along side the tracks and a residential street to ease traffic along East Liberty Street, the sole artery going e-w through the village.


My new Liberty Central Condo will be in the triangular spot in the fenced area under excavation.  There will be 2 buildings constructed here. They have started to exavate!
This is the Toy Factory Lofts Condo Building and a new shopping complex under construction.


Brazen Head Irish pub and Liberty Market Building.  I much prefer the Liberty Bistro, just beyond the Liberty Market Building to the Brazen.  An outdoor shopping galleria is under the black steel structure to the left of the Liberty Market Building.  Lampert Stadium, with its winter air dome, is on the upper right.
From the City of Toronto Heritage Buildings Site:
The King Liberty Lands once formed part of Garrison Common, lands that were set aside for military use. Fort York was built at the mouth of Garrison Creek, and in 1871 the provincial government allocated 20 acres of land south of King Street and west of Strachan Avenue for the Central Prison for Men.  
I live in the middle of an area of land steeped in history.  An important historical military landmark, two prisons (both men's and ladies') and according to a resident friend of mine - great Native American Indian significance as well. 

There are two heritage buildings remaining from the old prison site - the Prison Chapel and the paint shop, which was later incorporated into the A.R. Williams Machinery Co. building.


Liberty Central Park which features a Toronto Heritage Building - the Old Central Prison Chapel.


View to the N-W showing the A.R. Williams Machinery Co. Building and shopping beyond
During my walk I wanted to capture the current state construction of Liberty Towers and Bliss.  The building complex is comprised of 4 buildings, two high rises joined together in a rectangle with two low rises with an inner courtyard is almost enclosed on 4 sides.  It is now sufficiently constructed to provide hints of what is to come.

Here are a few of the photos I took on my walk this morning.
View along East Liberty Street - decidedly sad looking right now.

The courtyard between the buildings is on the left of the driveway which accesses the underground car park. My building is to the right.


I am guessing that this is to be a reflecting pool - but with steps down to the water maybe we are going to be encouraged to dip our toes?
On the main level south building I see what looks to be a swiming pool under construction.


You can see the construction elevator on the side of the Bliss building.  The Liberty Village "Urban Towns" in the foreground.  They were the first constructed in our construction boom.
The dull grey/browns of early spring.  No robins yet as the snow has barely gone.


If you would like to browse my picasa album with all of today's photos go here.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. Toronto seems to be a marvelous city for a city-dweller, Peggy.

    I have been wondering this evening what the difference is between people who thrive on city life and those who long for big water with not another human being in sight or for woodlands so endless it is possible to walk for hundreds of miles without encountering another soul.

    Frankly, I wish more people loved the wild, so it would not be disappearing so quickly.

    Whoops, I am almost ready to begin preaching again. I have a couple of cousins who do it as their profession, and I must have picked up a quarter-gene of the one that struck them down. So sorry.

    You did a great job with your post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails