Tuesday, February 17, 2009

This and That

Movie Time: The Duchess

Yesterday, my daughter Tegan came over to visit me and we ordered in pizza and rented a DVD to watch. We rented the movie, The Duchess starring Kia Knightley, Ralph Fiennes and Chorlotte Rampling and directed by Saul Dibb. It was rated 3 ½ stars on Flickster.

The movie tells the story of the life of 18th century aristocrat Georgiana, who was born Georgiana Spencer and through marriage to the Duke, became the Duchess of Devonshire. She was an ancestor of Princess Diana.

The movie is based on the biography titled Georgiana, Duchess of Devonshire by Amanda Foreman. The biography was crafted from an extensive set of personal letters which she left to her estate so it reflects very closely the actual opinions and emotions which was felt by this tragic love figure. I am going to put that book on my "want to read" list.

She was a sought after London socialite who had a large entourage of literary and political friends and was renowned for her beauty and sense of style. The Duchess was also known not only for her political campaigning and her love of gambling but also for her unconventional marriage arrangement with the 5th Duke of Devonshire, William of Cavendish.

Her marriage was not one of love and it was said that her husband was the only one in London who did not love her. Like Princess Diana’s marriage, it was not a happy one and it was very unconventional as there were openly 3 people in involved.

She introduced her husband to her friend, xxx, who came to stay with them for a time. Her friend became her husband’s mistress – and not a secret one. Times were different then and the women of those times had no rights and could legally beat their wife and take their children from them and leave them with nothing.

She eventually had a passionate love affair with Lord Grey (who later became Prime Minister) however at the threat that her husband would take her children and also have her lover’s political aspirations ruined she gave him up along with their love child Eliza Courtney. Sarah, Duchess of York is a descendant from this line.

She continued to live with her husband and his mistress, until her death.

It was a sad tale and perfect for a “girlie movie”. Tegan and I appreciated it for the wonderful dresses and beautiful hats. We felt outrage when her husband took her girlfriend for a lover and when she had to give up her true love in order to ensure his future as Prime Minister would be assured. I was in the mood for a sad movie and it fit the bill perfectly.

To see the Trailer on You Tube:

It has been 6 weeks!

Well today marks the end of 6 weeks since my eye surgery. As promised I have taken new photos and present them now for a verdict. What do you think about the result? I have had lots of positive reaction - but the most important reaction is the one that I have. My eyes are not heavy any more and at the end of the day I don't strain to keep myself looking awake! Eyes wide open is the operative word. I think I should be able to include them as a business expense because I look more alive and not sleepy! Anyway, I am pleased.

Not to mention at this point they are only 80% healed and they will improve yet. I chose to show 2 pictures with makeup on. My eyes are still a bit swollen and red, but it is easy to hide this with makeup at this point.

Comments anyone?


Can you tell the before and after?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails