Saturday, August 22, 2009

Thoughts swimming in my brain


Funny thing happens to me every year as August draws to a close. I start thinking about how things will change as summer ends and we get back to the serious business of living. When my children were living at home it also marked a very busy time as we got school and fall clubs, classes and lessons organized. Now the habit of thinking of the end of summer sort of like a bookend has become ingrained and the start of September, in my mind is a "New Year" of sorts - time to reflect, reorganize and make resolutions. I have noticed this week that this mood has crept up upon me and I am like a bear preparing for winter, getting my fall organized and at the same time thinking about the changes that are inevitable.

My focus this fall will be "mind and body". I am looking over the evening class brochure that arrived this week and thinking about some Spanish classes - in preparation for the real deal I hope to organize for next year. Plans for a travel/language immersion situation in Cuba are calling me loudly. This might help to temper my appetite and at the same time provide a bit of mental exercise as learning is good for the brain.

As for the body, I really have to take hold of myself and do more exercise and certainly Tai Chi did the trick a couple of years ago when I was fully committed to it. It serves both body and mind as it is a sort of moving meditation. For sure this fall I will get back to that. If I can start hitting my gym a couple of times a week as well that would be good too.

Of course this fall I am going to be very occupied with my novel planning and then in November the NaNoWriMo project will kick into high gear and I expect everything will be thrown aside for that. Which reminds me, I am off to a NaNoWriMo social event tonight. It will be fun to meet a dozen or so other silly people who are committed (or is that should be committed?) to write a novel in the month of November.

I have been hearing the Great Lakes Swimmers getting a lot of air play on my beloved CBC Radio 2 music programs, in particular the song following. The band has a very ethereal sound - wispy and easy and it just makes me want to whirl around and dance slowly with my arms spread. The lyrics from their songs are poetic and srtike a chord with me. In short - I like them a lot.

As you read the lyrics for this song you will agree that they are really poetic and have several layers of meaning. On one level the song is a soothing call to a tree's leaves as they are getting ready for fall (and to fall). On another level it is a summer lover who you know will be gone as the weather turns cold and a lament to an inevitable change in circumstance. I find this song and its lyrics to be quite beautiful, even if also sad.





Great Lake Swimmers
Changing Colours
:
You look at me with uncertainty,
You look at me with urgency.
You look at me with fear in your eyes
like you're about to fall away.

But don't be afraid to change your colours now.
I've known you all Summer, and you rose above it all.
I see you hesitate to fall now,
But it's a pretty good view from down here, too.

And when the wind takes you, it takes me, too.
When you change colours, I change mine, too.
Try not to think, and I will try to.
When you let go, I will let go, too.

I knew you when you were green and strong.
You were like a feather on a wing, so long.
You know I will miss you when you are gone,
but don't be afraid if you just can't hang on.

'Cause when the wind takes you, it takes me, too.
When you change colours, I change mine, too.
Try not to think and I will try, too.
And when you let go, I will let go, too.

The cold air is pushing hard on you.
I know what you're saying; I can feel it, too.
You'll go through changes, and I'll go through them too.
Don't be afraid now, don't be afraid.

'Cause when the wind takes you, it takes me, too.
When you change colours, I change mine, too.
Try not to think and I will try, too.
And when you let go, I will let go, too

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails