Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Beat Goes On

There are a few topics I want to cover with the limited time I am allowing myself to attend to my blog.  Firstly, I want to provide an update on my daughter Laura.  Next, as promised yesterday, I want to tell you about “The Onion”.  Lastly, I want to update you on how I am making out with my PMP exam preparation. 

Oh, Broken Bones - Oh My!


Laura just left my place.   She had booked to come over so I could wash her hair.  I guess I am going to be doing that 2 or 3 times a week for the next month or so.  I got an update on her visit to the fracture clinic and it is a bit worse than the Emergency Doctor had said.  

She actually broke two bones and fractured another bone in her hand on her thumb near her wrist.  Her arm was still quite swollen and so she needs to go back in a week and have this cast replaced.  The Doctor told her that the Emergency Room Nurse had not fitted the temporary cast properly and that had caused more problems.  She is definitely off work for a week.  She is also still in a lot of pain and so this Doctor prescribed Percocets to replace the Tylenol #3s the Emergency doctor prescribed for her.  As a mother, I am quite worried about the meds – they are very strong pain killers and have an addictive quality quite a bit more so than Tylenol.     

The other item I needed to understand better was how desperate her financial situation was.  I knew that before the broken arm the credit card company had been calling her about overdue payments and she had said her phone bill was behind also.  So it was “family counsel time” and her father came over as well and we spent several hours discussing her financial situation, developing a budget for her expenses, given her week without pay and yes, lending her a large sum of money to get the bill collectors off her back.   Over the next several months Laura and I will be meeting weekly to discuss how she is doing with her budget and I am policing that she is keeping up her end of the bargain and living within the budget she agreed to and making the agreed payments back to her father and I.  I hope this puts her back on track! 

On to a much more interesting topic:

 


The Onion.
   


I found The Onion through my twitter account and I am following The Onion’s micro blogs on twitter.   


They are so much fun!   What is The Onion you might wonder? 

It is an American “fake news” organization featuring satirical articles reporting on international, national, and local news both real and imaginary.  The humour often presents everyday facts as news using puns, quips and clinches, such as today’s headliner

Daylight Saving Time Yields Massive Daylight Surplus”.    They also take actual news events and make fun of them by making up stuff surrounding the real news.  A few of the ones I noticed this week:

  • Aging Seeing-eye Dog Purchases Seeing-eye Squirrel
  • Obama Outfitted With 238 Motion Capture Sensors for 3-D Record of Presidency
  • CIA Realizes It's Been Using Black Highlighters All These Years


  • Hurricane Bound For Texas Slowed By Large Land Mass To The South 
  • Obese Billionaire Opens World's Largest Gravy Park
  • Area Man Thinks He Was Fired Because Of Recession
  • Congress Establishes New Department Of Finding Change On The Ground
The Onion is the perfect thing to have as a regular smile generator on Twitter.  Every day there is one or two of these silly or even not so far fetched news items which arrive to make my day.    Some of these remind me of the old Saturday Night Live TV program “Weekend Update” which featured Bill Murray and Jane Curtin.

 
Yesterday I decided I needed to see the web site behind these silly twitterings.  They have what appears to be a full featured web site as large as any City Newspaper – but every single story is untrue and some are very funny.   The interesting thing is that a good number could well be true – but are not.  They also have a Video News section with a long list of PodCasts which will split your side.  I have included one for you to have a quick peek. 

If you want to check out the site:

http://www.theonion.com/content/index?utm_source=nav 



FDA Approves Depressant Drug For The Annoyingly Cheerful

Brain Tired, On Track but not ready to Leap...

As promised, the last part of this blog is an update on me.  It had looked like I was ahead a bit as the afternoon arrived and I had finished reviewing the two planned chapters on Project Time Management and Project Cost Management and I had only the 2 extra hours for memory work yet to do – so I thought I would be able to go out to my Documentary Film group tonight to see Leap.  

Leap is a documentary in which the case is made for the idea that everything around us is an illusion and so what naturally follows this is that we make our own reality.  It looked like an intriguing idea and I wanted to see it to generate some ideas for the fiction novel I am planning for November.   If you are interested in learning more:

http://www.leapmovie.com/ 

Laura’s visit and the “family counsel” ran into early evening, so I was unable to go to my movie Meet-Up.  I guess now I will need to buy the movie if I want to see it.  I am just now finishing my blog and I still need to put in the 2 hours of further study time. 

I am taking tomorrow off work to continue studying and I have 2 chapters for 3 hours and an extra 2 hours planned for memory work. 

 Lets see how I do!

1 comment:

  1. Poor Lilly! I'll give her a call this week.

    I hope she gets her finances worked out. I've never had a credit card - I hate spending money I don't have.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails