Monday, January 26, 2009

Gong Hei Fat Choy!

...which means "Congratulations and be prosperous". This is the 1st day of the Chinese New Year of the Year of the Ox. It is celebrated on the first day of the first lunar month and we have 15 more days to celebrate the New Year according to Chinese custom - sort of like the 12 days of Christmas I guess. Sadly, I did not serve a a fish for dinner tonight with head and tail still attached – so I guess I miss out on the togetherness and abundance that it would have brought. There are a lot of customs and superstitions that are interesting to say the least. For more info you can go to :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_New_Year

Obviously, then today is an important day for those "Oxen Folk" who by being born in this year are destined to achieve through their hard work and fortitude. This is the sign of a born leader who is modest and calm and destined to achieve great things. And guess what sign Obama was born under! I think our Pres to the south sings a tune that matches his Chinese Horoscope -don't you?

I was born in the year of the horse. Horses are supposed to be lovable, witty, free-spirit, enthusiastic, independent, creative, optimistic. I am sure my Mom would agree with that!

If you want to find out more about your chinese horoscope go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_astrology

I did my walk into work in record time this morning. I became intimately acquainted with the feeling of "biting cold" as my nose and cheeks were tingling and bright red when I got to work. I had a nice Rudolf look going. Also walking was quite dangerous! The melt of Friday last and the subsequent quick freeze turned all those unshovelled spots into slip slidey hazzards. Given the number of vacant lots and construction sites around me there are a fair number not shovelled. I broke my arm when I fell on the ice last winter and am determined not to do so again! So careful fast walking was the watch word!

For those of you counting I am 70 words over my limit. Darn... Well, I have lots of days coming to practice being breviloquent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails