Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday Night - rolls around rather quickly!

Ok, so it is Sunday evening and the last thing I will do today is to write this blog. Got lots done over the weekend and yet, still felt at the end of it that I had taken it easy. A nice feeling.

Sunday has a distinctive feel to it, for those of us who work outside the home or go to school, don't you think? As Sunday afternoon winds around the corner of dinner hour and evening approaches one starts thinking about the work (or school) week in front of us. For some who hate their jobs, this is, I am sure, a time when the mood drops like a lead balloon. For the rest of us who like, or at least don't mind their jobs, it can be a time of "getting ready". This is never more illustrated than in the mood that prevails on the night before the first day of each school year. I can remember clearly, clothes at the ready, lunches planned out if not packed, optimistic thoughts or at least encouraging thoughts about what one might encounter in the year to come. And such as it is tonight. A habit I formed long ago. Set yourself up for the week to come and Monday morning is a lot easier.

Today is Robbie Burns day. To all Scots this is a day which is celebrated with Haggis and Robbie Burns poetry. I have been bumping into Robbie Burns Day things all day and enjoying it. Whle I write this I am listening to CBC Radio 1, In the Key of Charles program and he is featuring things Scottish. I have heard a few different renderings of the of the classic love poem, A red, red rose. I wasn't aware of this but it is also set to music and is quite lovely.

A Red, Red Rose
(Standard english Translation)
O, my love is like a red, red rose,
That is newly sprung in June.
O, my love is like the melody,
That is sweetly played in tune.
As fair are you, my lovely lass,
So deep in love am I,
And I will love you still, my Dear,
Till all the seas go dry.
Till all the seas go dry, my Dear,
And the rocks melt with the sun!
O I will love you still, my Dear,
While the sands of life shall run.
And fare you well, my only Love,
And fare you well a while!
And I will come again, my Love,
Although it were ten thousand mile!

Robbie Burns was a lover of women and apparently left quite a few children scattered over the Scottish countryside - (in the care of their mothers, of course!)

So the other bit of news is that I have been looking for tips on blogging and well - I have discovered I have been way over delivering in terms of the number of words! Apparently, readers of blogs can only digest about 200-300 words in one blog and then they lose interest. Those of you who have read the bulk of my blogs so far know that 200 words is a drop in the bucket for me! Even this one, which isn't particularly long IMO, is over 450 words even without counting the poem. So my challenge hence forth is to deliver a blog in less than 300 words which provides one topic of interest (the other tip I found)... Stay tuned for tomorrow's blog.

For those of you who want to stay in touch with my "essay" style blogs I will be continuing those but in another forum. Will let you know when I find a publishing forum for those items

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails