Saturday, May 2, 2009

April Showers Bring May Flowers

It is appropriate that we ended April with pouring rain. We received 24 mm of rain on Thursday tongue in cheek, I saw someone twitter “Toronto is looking a lot like New Orleans after the flooding”. We have had a few rainy days this week and the grass where I walk Bella is covered in inches of water. OK, bring on the flowers!

May Day
Is it May already? I received my annual announcement from Susan this morning, who every year reminds all us friends what the good weather starting in May means to everybody. Actually, her note brings back memories, but I think I have gotten past the May “2-4” camping weekends which were the harbinger of spring for me. Right of passage for our teens here is to go camping with friends that weekend, get drunk and *hmmm* need I say more? I will let others do this sort of stuff outside in the spring – I think I prefer to wait for summer to bake on a hot beach or have weekend long outdoor escapades. In the meantime, long walks, roller blading and nice outdoor patios are on my agenda!

We finished poetry month, but I can’t help but do one last blog on the topic. I was able to find a few minutes to catch up on my blog reading on Thursday night and as I was attempting to get through the ever growing list of bloggists I am following, I had to add two others I found mentioned within my “regulars”. This is a round about journey to the poetry topic, but bear with me, I will get there.

Visiting a Castle in Spain
First, let me put in a plug for My Castle in Spain. I am having a wonderful time with “virtual travel” by visiting various foreign websites. Since I have a great interest in doing the Camino in Spain in the next few years and am reading another blog On the Camino, which is a day by day account of one person’s Camino journey 2 years ago, I read the My Castle in Spain blog with great interest. She does a splendid job of describing the local culture, customs and everyday life which surrounds her. I enjoy her blog immensely. Hers contains many great local pictures, well framed and explained! It is like being on a guided tour which is handed out in 10 minute lumps every day or so in each blog. It was her blog which connected me to the Oia blog and caused a large sigh of jealousy to escape my lips.

Azure Seas and Blue and White Houses on the Hill
Oia is a village on the sea side of Santorini Island. The blog is called A Notebook about Life in Oia. It is a blog well worth exploring. I have some fond memories of things Greek and have listened to some first hand accounts of the beauty of Santorini.

Sadly, I never got to go there with my Greek, although his parents own a beach house on the Mediterranean a boat ride away. However I was bitten by the bug to go there some day and experience this beauty first hand. This blog brought back some wonderful memories of things Greek and is a very interesting site to visit because it documents the work these expats who are renovating a cave house in the side of the mountains. An interesting blog with beautiful postcard perfect scenery pictures.

I will go back to follow the progress and hopefully see the finished product of all their labours – along with the breathtaking photos of the azure blue waters, white and blue stucco homes and hillsides of green. I am sure their “cave” (not to mention Santorini island) would an idyllic place to live.

A Brief Stop with a Cuban In London

The second new blog I found was A Cuban in London. Whilst browsing through his site, I read the most wonderful poem, titled “kidnap poem”. It evoked some warm and fuzzy memories because of words used. Lilacs are my favourite flower and soon it will be lilac time. Words like “the beach” and “the sea” always cause a moan of desire to escape my lips. In its own way it is a very sensual poem. The linguistic imagery is so playful and laid back that the sensuality sneaks up on you. I was also very much grabbed by the content of the site itself. The visuals are stunning and attention grabbing and I saw several blog titles and some longer text content with interesting titles that will draw me back again when I have more time.

I have to thank the Cuban in London bloggist for finding such a wonderful poem. I am going to have to read more poems by this American poet.

Kidnap Poem by Nikki Giovanni

kidnap poem

ever been kidnapped by a poet
if i were a poet
i'd kidnap you
put you in my phrases and meter

you to jones beach
or maybe coney island

or maybe just to my house
lyric you in lilacs

dash you in the rain
blend into the beach

to complement my sea

play the lyre for you
ode you with my love
song
anything to win you
wrap you in the red black green
show you off to mama
yeah if i were a poet
i'd kidnap you




According to Wiki:

Yolande Cornelia "Nikki" Giovanni (born June 7, 1943) is a Grammy-nominated American poet, activist and author. Giovanni is currently a Distinguished Professor of English at Virginia Tech.[1]

looking at wiki it seems her most recent published work is - Bicycles: Love Poems (2009) (William Morrow) I wonder if this poem is in that book? I will have to find it.

Looking Forward to the Weekend!
I am composing my blog on Friday, although in interests of keeping to one blog per day, I am writing this in advance of my trip up north tonight and putting it out on auto-publish. I am going to sneak off from work early and go up to visit with my friends at GopherBrokeFarm and spend the night and then carry on to my Georgian Bay Shangri-La tomorrow. My folks are camping out there (figuratively) for the summer, until their new place is built and I have some work projects to discuss with my Dad! Got to love a Dad who likes work projects!

Not sure if I will be back late Saturday night or Sunday morning, but will get my next blog out on Sunday for sure!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Peggy,
    oh...thank you so much for this lovely comment on my blog. It really cheers me up !
    I do hope you'll come and visit Spain soon and fellow blogger's splendid Oia...
    me too when i visited his blog, I thought : oh..this is better than Andalusia!
    Cuban in London is definitely a great blog for books reviews seasoned with a good dose of nice music now and then..

    have a great sunday !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails