Saturday, May 2, 2009

Boston Marathon


Last week the Boston Marathon was held. I am not a runner, but there was a bit of stir at work because one of the Executives in our area usually runs that marathon.

The Boston Marathon is the worlds oldest marathon and the most famous. It is one of the five World Marathon Majors. Tens of thousands of runners from all over the world run in it and international runners dominate at the finish line. This year was no exception. The course is 26.22 miles of winding and hilly roads with (as for this year) 26,000 people running along its course. It is one of the most difficult marathons to run. It is also one of the most inclusive, with classes identified not only for wheel chair entrants, mobility impaired entrants but also blind and sight impaired racers~!


I was most impressed to read about Orillia's Rick Ball who placed first in his class with the mobilty impaired runners, as he is an amputee who runs with the aid of a carbon fibre prosthetic limb. He posted the fastest time in world marathon history for a single leg amputee. Doubly impressive to me was that he finished under the qualifying time for an able bodied entrant. Rick had not been a runner prior to becoming an amputee in 1986. In fact, he only started training 2 years ago!

Rick gives motivational talks to school children to show them that disabilities should not stop them from achieving their dreams.

Rick is a shining example how people overcome adversity and move on to other challenges with determination and fortitude - and make time to give back to those around him. I take my hat off to him!


I took this photo of Bella the other day. She has gotten into the habit of crawling into my spot in the bed when I get up in the morning. She lays there and catches a few more zzzzz s while I get myself ready for work before I take her for her morning walk.

2 comments:

  1. I have heard of the Boston Marathon before and would love to take part in it some day. I do jog but have yet to register for the London one, let alone for one overseas. Many thanks for your post.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails