Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Saturday Night Soccer

Saturday Night, after returning from my Luminato treking, I sat out on my balcony. The evening was warm and just perfect for sitting out while writing my blog. There was a Toronto FC soccer (or as you on the other side of the pond call it - football) evening game. The games are held in a stadium within view of my Condo and while the game is in progress, every goal is announced with a roar of applause that is clearly audible even inside my apartment. With binoculars, I can watch the players running around in mid field, although the goal posts are obscured from view.

Canada has not been a big soccer country. I guess that is a major understatement as I don't know that we have ever won any sort of an international competition ever. We are becoming better in this respect in recent years, but still and all there just is not the effort put into developing our younger players, unlike hockey which is an institution here from a very young age. I learned lots about why soccer has such an uphill battle in this respect from my Greek "X significant other", who was a pro soccer player.

In any event, our team, the Toronto FC, fills the stadium to capacity twice a week for their games and I get to watch all the soccer games from a distance. According to Wiki:
Toronto FC fans have helped make the club one of the MLS' most successful franchises having been profitable since its first year with regular sellouts and sold-out seasons tickets.


Find out more about Toronto FC here.




And so it was on Saturday night. The view was spectacular, and I snapped a few photos to share. The first is BMO Field, where our soccer games take place. You can see the full stadium as dusk decends. In the background you can see the Lake and a Tall Ship sailing by. The sky was wonderfully pink to the west. That reminded me of the saying:

Red sky at night,
Sailors delight.
Red sky in morning,
Sailors take warning.

As it turned out, the sky was blue and the day sunny when I woke on Sunday morning.









I am not sure why this is, but in the early evening the light from the west onto the Toronto Downtown Skyline creates the opportunity for tremendously post card like pictures. This one is no exception.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, post card like photograph indeed! Very beautiful photograph.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails